Sunday, April 16, 2006

The list

Ok , so the list, finally, in no particular order my list of
Really Good Books
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, this is just soooooo funny , its by Douglas Adams, who was totally brilliant, also wrote the Dirk Gently series, about an existential detective who uses the ideas of physics and relativity to solve his case, well kind of any way. Anyway Adams was intelligent and hilarious and hitchhikers is his best work.
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austin, any girl knows this romantic and intelligent novel is one of the best love stories ever written.
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchel
The 'Tomorrow' Series, I don't think John Marsden's books are popular out of Australia, they should, the tomorrow series is the best but is very very long, Checkers , So Much to Tell You and anything else by him while aimed at teenagers ( and well aimed to, Marsden is the best writer for teenagers ive ever read , gets the language perfect, without it ever becoming out dated) can draw anyone in.
A Cage of Butterflies- Brian Caswell
Watermelon - Marian Keyes , not the same literary level as some others but still a damn funny read
The No. Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander Macall Smith

The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks , sappy but i like it , and others that he writes, his books always seem to be being made into movies

Bridget Jones's Diary- Helen Fielding

Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf, took some concentration but i enjoyed it

The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde, ok so technically its a play , but I've only ever read it , never seen it live so i think it counts

Catch-22- Joseph Heller

1984 - George Orwell, but i didnt like the ending

Chocolat- Joanna Harris

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead-Tom Stoppard, also a play, but i had to read it in high school and loved it

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

The B.F.G- Roald Dahl, i loved Roald Dahl growing up , still do

Power of One- Bryce Courtenay - another Aussie writer - most of his books are depressing but i like this one.

Life of Pi- Yann Martel

Digital Fortress- Dan Brown , ok so i know its lame to like Dan Brown but i totally enjoyed this book

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte, the only Bronte i can stand

ok so , that, for no particular reason was a list of some of the books i enjoyed

5 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Speaking of books, I have a literary question for you.

The other day, I bought a used copy of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. To this date I have only read one book by Hornby (How to Be Good.) Hornby seems to have an interesting combination of serious literary interests with pop culture.

My question--and take all the time you need in responding---is do you know where I put my copy of High Fidelity. B/c I have the reciept, so I know I wasn't just dreaming about buying it. Look forward to any literary advice you might have. Justin

1:58 AM  
Blogger kelmaree said...

Hmmmmm, that is quite a literary conundrum you have there, when i lose books i usually find i lent them to (forced them upon)someone else.
Other than that i can o0nly offer you the same (very useful) advice people always give me; It will be in the last place you look

6:34 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Well, there you have it! It was indeed in the last place I looked (Under a Jar of Applesauce). I appreciate your advice, and I'm glad you have such excellent taste in books, as to include ones that I am of late losing track of.
Justin
P.S. You weren't being mean to me were you? Never can tell...

12:25 PM  
Blogger kelmaree said...

glad i could help
nah i wasn't being mean , but i think you might be teasing me

12:19 PM  
Blogger Skvid said...

That's a very nice list of books you have there.

I've just discovered Jasper Fforde. I love discovering new authors.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home